Tulips

Tulip Bulb Scams – Don’t buy tulip bulbs during springtime!

Previous ArticleTulips in Amsterdam
Comments (7)
  1. Aden says:

If, after planting tulip bulbs in the spring, you got no flowers, don’t assume they are completely dead. In fact, the bulb may just need another fall and winter to build up enough nutrients to bloom next spring.

2. Sahrish says:

Do you know about the free bulbs package worth € 3.95 included within the Combi ticket for Keukenhof with train + bus + entrance? Do they have other flowers or tulips? I guess if they are tulips they will be useless and that’s why they are free. Sorry for the stupid question!

1. Nienke says:

I am sure that there will be no tulip bulbs package included in the combi ticket. See http://tulipsinholland.com/2015/02/tulip-bulb-scams-dont-buy-tulip-bulbs-springtime. The only bulbs you can buy now are summer bulbs. Have a wonderful time visiting Keukenhof.

3. Elizabeth Snyman says:

What bulbs can I buy now. I live in South Africa in an area with a very mild climate. Obviously tulips will not grow there!

1. Nienke says:

Hmm not sure what other bulbs are suitable for a mild climate with opposite seasons than the Dutch seasons. I think it is best to order bulbs at a local flower farm in South Africa so you will have fresh bulbs (the bulbs that are fresh now in Holland are the summer bulbs but you are heading towards wintertime and not summer time)

4. Yvonne Rudolph says:

I should have known better. I’m currently studying in Holland, and I wanted to send my mother something “Dutch” for her birthday. Late April. A friend suggested tulips. I stopped at a florist shop outside the central station in the Hague. Purchased several packages of bulbs and the girl at the counter gift wrapped them for me. then I took them to the post and shipped them home. Pfft. When I spoke to my mother later, she sadly informed me that the bulbs were rotten when she opened them Only after that did I read up and learn that bulbs are planted in the fall and not sold by reputable dealers in winter and spring.

5. Lori says:

My husband just bought me bulbs from a flower shop in Amsterdam. We live in the PNW, and planting season is Autumn. What a bummer. He even got me blue tulips! The thought that counts though.