Weekly Flower update 2019 – week 16
a very good morning from the tulip area in The Netherlands. We have just had the flower parade / bloemencorso weekend and now Easter weekend is coming. Read on for al tips on Easter in The Netherlands.
Current status of the flowers
First the current status of the blooming of the flowers. Last weekend we had a freezing polar wind over The Netherlands. In the South of The Netherlands we even had some snow! At flower parade weekend you needed your scarf, warm hat and mittens, but the flowers looked lovely in the flower fields and at Keukenhof.
Every time I enter Keukenhof I am amazed by the different colours of the tulip hill near the entrance. Thousands of tulips in bloom in different colours. It looks amazing. In the park you can see the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths in bloom. Due to the freezing weather at night some tulips looked broken but during the daytime and warm temperatures they got better.
It is so lovely to walk around Keukenhof at this time of the year. The bike rental place at Keukenhof is a very busy place as well. You can rent your bike here to see all the beautiful flower fields in the surrounding of Keukenhof. Please remember not to enter the fields, you can damage the bulbs a lot. If you want to enter a flower field you can visit a tulip picking farm where you can pick your own bunch of tulips.
For the next week temperatures between 17-21 C /62-70 F are forecasted with lots of sunshine and some clouds. This is extremely warm weather for Dutch springtime. In the night temperatures will drop to 9C/48 F.
Are you wondering when the tulips are in bloom in the fields or when the best time is to visit Keukenhof? Have a look at this blogpost “when the tulips are in bloom in 2019“. Planning to visit but you don’t have a ticket yet? Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
For the next week I expect to see an explosion of blooming flowers. With these high temperatures predicted for over one week a lot of flowers will be in bloom. You can see tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and the blue muscari flowers will form a blue river in some parts of Keukenhof. I expect that the second layer (of three layers) of Keukenhof will bloom by this Easter weekend. Blooming and growing depends on weather and temperature, when the weather is warm and sunny blooming will go faster, when we have cold and cloudy weather blooming will slow down. We will have warm temperatures during the daytime and cold temperatures during the night for the upcoming week.
For the FAQ of this week:
1. When will the tulip fields be headed? Tulips in the fields will be headed right after peak blooming. Normally during a regular year the tulip fields are headed from the 30th of April into the first week of May. I expect some earlier heading of the tulips because of the early blooming due to the warm weather. And no there is no certain date for this. Not all the farmers will start at the same time (early tulips will be headed earlier than regular or late blooming tulips).
2. Will there be flowers left in May? Based on previous years I expect there is always something to see in bloom at Keukenhof.
Normally my personal favourite week is the first/ second week of May, because of all the flowers in bloom and the fresh leaves on the trees. We will still have to experience how the weather will develop in the upcoming weeks. Now it is too early to predict how the blooming will develop especially with these warm temperatures ahead of us. It is unlikely to see blooming tulip fields during the second week of May (in any year) so if you are traveling to see the tulip fields you have to plan your visit earlier.
Keep an eye to our social media (buttons below) to see actual photos and videos of Keukenhof and the flower fields.
Easter weekend travel tips:
– Travel early – Easter weekend (from Friday 19 – Monday 22 April) is an official holiday for most Dutch people, with the warm weather and many tourists in the area, the Keukenhof will fill up very quickly. Last weekend there were a lot of traffic jams for people traveling towards Keukenhof. Plan an early visit (arrive before 10AM) to avoid the traffic jams as much as possible.
– Rent a bike and cycle towards the beach along the flower fields. – The weather is perfect for a bike ride. And you can ride to the lovely beach place and restaurant Nederzandt in 8 km (30 mins) from Keukenhof. See Google Maps how to navigate.
– There are some Easter Markets in The Netherlands in the cities of The Hague, Gorinchem, Vlissingen, Otterloo and Nijmegen. When you google “Paasmarkt” plus the name of the town, you will find all the information.
– And Easter is a lovely time to visit one of the other tulip festivals like in the Noordoostpolder.
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2019 – Skip the line
- Bus + Skip the line entrance Keukenhof 2019 (also from the new added bus stations)
- Rent your bike (3hrs or full day) to see the flower fields around Keukenhof yourself
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof and Flower farm from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Rotterdam
- Day Trip to Keukenhof & Flowerfields, Volendam & Windmills (Small Group Tour)
- Day Trip to Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans including A’DAM Lookout
Wishing you a lovely week full of tulips! And come over to our social media to say hi!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com