Weekly Flower update 2019 – week 19
I hope you have had a wonderful start of the week. After a very busy week with Remembrance Day and Liberation Day we are now heading into the final 2 weeks of spring season. Have a look how the flowers are blooming and what to expect for the upcoming week….
Current status of the flowers
From the summer like temperatures two weeks ago, we went back to winter temperatures last weekend. There was even some snow in the South of The Netherlands! Normally this is not something that you hope for at the beginning of May, but now it causes some longer blooming for the tulips that are in bloom.
As we are heading towards the end of springtime most of the flower fields are gone. You might find one field left, but I couldn’t find any fields during my drive through the Keukenhof area last Sunday. The Keukenhof was nearly empty on Sunday morning during opening time, it was a perfect opportunity to make a lot of photos.
The final layer is in bloom and throughout the garden you can see from the flowers that we are heading towards the end of springtime. Luckily there are still a lot of good spots to find the gorgeous blooming as you can see on my social media in photos and videos. Especially in the old part of the garden underneath the tall trees, the flowers still look beautiful.
In the pavilions the flower shows are getting to a lovely peak with the world famous Lily show in the Willem Alexander Pavilion, where you can see gorgeous lilies on display in beautiful settings. At the Oranje Nassau pavilion you can see the Lisianthus show until the 13th of May and after that you can see the Carnation and summer flower show until the 19th of May. At the Willem Alexander Pavilion you can also see the potted plants show and the potted bulb show (with also some tulips in bloom).
For the upcoming week temperatures between 3-14 C / 37-57 F are forecasted. Cold but perfect for the blooming of the flowers. After May 12th, Mothers Day in The Netherlands the temperatures are expected to go up again. So if possible visit earlier rather than later. Now there is still some flowers in bloom. With the some days of warm weather it might be over quickly.
Are you wondering when the tulips are in bloom in the fields or when the best time is to visit Keukenhof? Have a look at this blogpost “when the tulips are in bloom in 2019“. Planning to visit but you don’t have a ticket yet? Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
insert current status
Mother’s Day Weekend
The 12th of May is Mother’s Day weekend in The Netherlands but it is also windmill weekend. During this weekend you can look inside a lot of windmills around The Netherlands. Have a look at their websiteto see where you can visit.
For the FAQ of this week:
1. Is it still worth to visit the Keukenhof? – For me it is. I love this time of the year when the garden looks beautiful with all these green leaves on the trees. I prefer this time more than the very start of springtime at the end of March where you hardly see any color. At this moment a lot of flowers are still in bloom and you can see flowers that are done blooming. The beautiful flower shows make it for me worth while to visit.
2. Are the flower fields still in bloom? – No the fields have been headed in the past two weeks. If you want to see flower fields you have to return next springtime 2020. Also the picking gardens report that these flowers are picked or are done blooming. You have to return during next spring for spring flowers or return in the summer for a bouquet of summer flowers.
3. Can I see tulips after the Keukenhof has closed? Sunday the 19th of May will be the last opening day of Keukenhof. This is the final day that you can see tulips for spring 2019 in The Netherlands. There are no fields left and there are no other places left to see. The 19th of May is the very end of springtime 2019 and you have to wait until spring 2020 to see tulips in the fields or at Keukenhof garden.
There are some other flower events during June, like the Aalsmeer Flower festival with beautiful Roses or the flower parade of Rijnsburg with lovely summer flowers in August. During the Sunday the 1st of September you can see the world biggest flower parade with Dahlia flowers in the town of Zundert, the birth town of Van Gogh. A must see for any flower lover (Google Corso Zundert to see videos of it).
Tickets and Tours
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2019 – Skip the line
- Bus + Skip the line entrance Keukenhof 2019 (also from the new added bus stations)
- Rent your bike (3hrs or full day) to see the flower fields around Keukenhof yourself
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof and Flower farm from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Rotterdam
- Day Trip to Keukenhof & Flowerfields, Volendam & Windmills (Small Group Tour)
- Day Trip to Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans including A’DAM Lookout
We will have a short break from the newsletter to prepare our website and newsletter for the summer time. Wishing you a wonderful week. See you soon!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com