The map Keukenhof 2019 is available. When you are not a regular visitor, please have a look at the different areas on the map. When you travel by tour group or public transportation you enter the Keukenhof garden at the bottom of the map Keukenhof. On very busy days the cars will be parked at the extra parking at the top of the map and people will enter from the top side of the park. There are 6 major pavilions in the park and many lovely areas.
Let’s point them out on the map from left to right:
- Wilhelmina pavilion – top left of the map Keukenhof – this is a large restaurant for coffee, tea with some sweets, but also perfect for a lunch or dinner. When you are traveling with a large group this is a perfect place to meet. It has a large terrace as well and it overlooks the pond. If you are in luck you can see the beautiful swans swimming in the pond. Next to this pavilion there is a souvenir shop and toilet building. If you are wondering what the small building next to the souvenir shop is, it is the original entrance building from the early days of Keukenhof.
- Juliana/ Tulpomania pavilion – permanent exhibition about the history of the tulip. There is a small terrace at the back of the pavilion for a quiet spot in the park. The toilet facilities are a bit hidden but they are at the end where you cen enter the building from the terrace. This pavilion has an excellent souvenir shop and on some days you can find people make flower corsages for sale. At the side of the pavilion it used to be the starting point of the free 1 hour walking tour. We will have to see if this is held for 2019.
- Between the Juliana pavilion and the organ barrel area you can find a beautiful area with trees and flowers. There is a stream of water and some art works.
- Irene pavilion – organ barrel area. This area used to be the entrance area before the large main entrance was build. You can find two restaurants, a souvenir shop and toilet facilities here next to a ever playing organ barrel. You can walk around the organ barrel to see how the music is made. And you can listen to old Dutch to modern music. Close to this area (walk a bit uphill to the Juliana pavilion from the organ barrel) you can find one of the two blue rivers of muscari flowers in the park.
- Between organ barrel area and main building you can find the historical garden where you can find old fashioned flower bulbs and different varieties of tulips.
- Main entrance building – when you look at the center of the map Keukenhof this is the main arrival building where most people enter the Keukenhof garden. There is a ticket selling point, an information point and the gate to enter the park and get your ticket scanned. At the outside of the park a snack shop for bottles of drinks, locker area to put your daypack in and the pick up point for your rental wheelchair is situated. At the information point you can pick up a children’s scavenger hunt.
- When you enter the park on your right there is a flower shop and a souvenir shop. On your left is another souvenir shop and a restaurant perfect for a cup of coffee or tea or something to eat. It has a terrace where you overlook the waterside. When you sit inside make sure you watch the paintings carefully, sometimes the people in the paintings move! (Great place to keep children entertained). If you haven’t bought your ticket yet, have a look at the tickets and tours options here.
- Oranje Nassau pavilion – In this building you can find a great flower exhibition that changes regularly. Often you can choose your favorite flowers inside this building and it has lovely instagrammable photo opportunities. At the flower stand there are often demonstration to make stunning flower arrangements, perfect spot to give your feet some rest or to dry up during a rainy day. There is a small souvenir shop as well, next to the large restaurant. At the back of the restaurant there is a small terrace, perfect for sunny spring days. If you like to play a game of chess, you can find a large scale chess board on the little hill at the left side (terrace side) of the Oranje Nassau pavilion. For toilet facilities go downstairs (an elevator is available). Next to this pavilion you can find the gorgeous flower mosaic which looks stunning when all the flowers are in bloom.
- Willem Alexander pavilion – This is the largest pavilion of the Keukenhof and it is mainly a large greenhouse with beautiful flower exhibitions inside. This is the place to be in the first opening weeks to see the tulips in bloom. At the side you can find a restaurant, ice cream shop, souvenir shop, toilet facilities and the only ATM of the park. In the middle of the building you can find some artistic souvenir shops for beautiful works of tulip art. At the outside, right top of this pavilion you can find Nijntjes / Miffy’s playhouse. This bunny created by the Dutch artist Dick Bruna, is famous all over the world. You can buy Nijntje/Miffy souvenirs here.
- Playground area – Not a pavilion but a perfect place to sit down with kids. It is next to the playground area, the maze and the petting farm with small animals. At the shop you can buy popcorn, cotton candy and poffertjes, a typical dutch snack that looks like very small fluffy pancakes (you can eat it with butter and icing sugar or add something fancy like whipped cream, chocolate)
- Inspiration gardens – Get some beautiful ideas for your own garden or balcony at the inspiration gardens at Keukenhof. You can find them at the area between the playground area and the windmill area.
- Tea house– The tea house is a small greenhouse right of the inspiration garden. You can find lovely tea here. Most people walk by the teahouse not knowing that you have a stunning view from the backside at the flower fields behind. The small boats from the boat tour pass by, perfect spot to wave to people 🙂
- Windmill area – Have you ever climbed a windmill and overlooked the flower fields? This is your chance to do so. It is a perfect spot to see if the fields are in bloom to rent a bike and to see the fields from up close. Back downstairs there is a souvenir shop where you can buy your own clogs. At the left side of the building there is a ticket point where you can buy tickets for a boat tour through the flower fields. Make sure that you climb the windmill first to see if there are any fields in bloom. Otherwise you might end up with a nice boat tour without flowers. Between the windmill area and the Willem Alexander pavilion on the left there is an event area with toilet facilities and a snack/coffee/tea selling point. You can find the inspiration romance garden next to it. Perfect point to propose to your future partner.
- Beatrix pavilion – At the top right of the map Keukenhof you can find the Beatrix pavilion. Here you can find a stunning Orchid show in the most beautiful colors. At the right you find a souvenir shop, toilet facilities and a large restaurant with terrace.
Other not to miss items at the Map Keukenhof:
- The most beautiful artwork dotted around the park.
- Step stones in the water (across the pond by the Juliana pavilion, close to the fountain).
- Between the Beatrix pavilion and the entree extra (top side of the park) there is a beautiful area with old trees. Every year I try to spot the woodpecker in the trees in this area. You can hear him by his distinctive sound rattling the trees.
- Several bulb shop, where you can order fresh bulbs delivered at your house in autumn. (Don’t buy spring flower bulbs during spring time, see the information about tulip bulb scams here).
- Find the blue streams / rivers of muscari flower in the park. One is near the organ barrel area and the other one can be found above the Willem Alexander pavilion close to Nijntjes / Miffy’s playhouse.
- Outside the main entrance, when you stand under the main entrance with you back to the garden, on your left you will see the bicycle rental place. Here you can rent a bike to ride around the area to find the best views of the flower fields. Have a look at tickets here.
It has been a long list of nice spots in the Keukenhof garden. Share your favorite map Keukenhof area or not to miss tip below in the comments. It can be of great help for other tourists. And if you haven’t bought a ticket yet, please have a look at the tickets and tour selection.
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Keukenhof for map.