Amsterdam is the most visited city by the readers of tulips in Holland. Its central location will give you a perfect base for visiting interesting places in the Netherlands. All the different flower areas are nearby and there is enough to see and do to spend at least one full week without being bored.
Top 10 things to do in Amsterdam
- Boat tour around the world famous Canal belt – a must do, perfect introduction of the city on your arrival day!
- Anne Frank Huis – make sure you have skip the line tickets, the line is long all year round!
- Rijksmuseum – the number 1 museum of the Netherlands
- Paleis op de dam and Dam square – the central hub of the city
- Stedelijk Museum – for interesting modern art
- Van Gogh Museum – One of the 2 musea with the paintings of Vincent van Gogh (the other is the Kröller Muller Museum)
- Vondelpark – perfect for a afternoon scroll especially on Sunday
- Albert Cuypmarkt – weekday market
- 9 straatjes (Nine Streets) – lovely shopping in small independent shops
- Bloemenmarkt (Flower Market) – see all the different flowers – be aware of tulip bulb scams when you buy your bulbs out of season
Top events in Amsterdam
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- Vondelpark open air theatre (May – September)
- Canal festival (classical music 10 days in August)
- Amsterdam Dance Event (October)
- Amsterdam Light festival (December – January)
- New Years Eve (december)
The tourist season in Amsterdam start around the end of March when the flower season starts and continues to October. Every year during September (14 – 19 sept 2017) the IBC Convention is held. Make sure you secure your hotel well in advance or find an other city to stay in. Hotel prices will skyrocket during this event.
Where to sleep
When visiting Amsterdam there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
- Hampshire Hotel – Amsterdam American
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Pulitzer Amsterdam
- NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
- Hampshire Hotel – Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
But there are many more hotels: See all hotels in Amsterdam.
10 Unique hotels in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam City Hub
- The Exchange Hotel
- Breitner house
- Hotel not hotel
- CitizenM Hotel Amsterdam
- Crane Hotel Faralda Amsterdam
- The Arcade Hotel
- Sir Albert Hotel
- Houseboat Ms 3 Gebroeders
- Bed & Breakfast De Hoedenmaker
Tips & tricks
Amsterdam is a very walkable city and it has a lot of public transportation options. You won’t need a car inside the city (it is too difficult to park). If you don’t want to walk, do as the Dutch and bike around town.
There a numerous discount and travel cards available for Amsterdam but sometimes it is a bit difficult to compare which one is the right one for you. We will make a travel/discount card comparison soon.
There are a couple of interesting apps with free city walks you can use on your phone. See our apps page.
Free to do and visit
Begijnhof, Oude Kerk, Westerkerk, Noorderkerk sen Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk. See how the diamonds are cut at the various diamonds exhibitions and visit one of the free markets like the Albert Cuyp, Noordermarkt and Dappermarkt.
Every Tuesday (September – May) 12:15 hrs at the foyer of the Stopera by the Choir of the national opera and the ochestra of the Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra.
Every Wednesday (September – May) 12:30 hrs at the concert building in the Small or large concert hall. Get your free tickets for the small concert hal at 11:30 at the same building. For the large concert hall you don;t need a ticket. See online if the weekly concert is held in the small or large concert hall.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Wiki Commons
Sneak Preview Keukenhof 2018 Are you planning a visit to Keukenhof 2018? I am very excited to share some information from the official opening of Keuk…
Picking tulips for a good cause Picking tulips for a good cause is held every year at the end of March after the Tulip Trade Event is held in the Neth…
Interesting Events There is so much to do in the direct surroundings of Amsterdam and Keukenhof. Have a look at some interesting events during spring …
Weekly Flower Update 2018 - week 11 This is the first flower update for 2018. From now on until the end of spring season (mid May) we will have weekly…
The Cruquius Museum Apart from tulips, The Netherlands is also known because of water. After all, most of the country would flood if there were neithe…
Happy National Tulip Day 2018 Every year on the third Saturday of January the start of the tulip season is celebrated with National Tulip Day. You won…
When are the tulips in bloom in 2018 ? Every year this is the most frequently asked question is: when are the tulips in bloom in 2018 ? Will the tulip…
Fly over the tulip fields at This is Holland Tulip season is very short. During springtime the tulips are in bloom for just for app. four weeks. With …
CBS Sunday Morning - Tulips at Hortus Bulborum Yesterday at the CBS Sunday Morning show the Hortus Bulborum garden was shown. Situated in the small to…
Opening Keukenhof 2018 Today, at the final day of Keukenhof season 2017 the opening dates of Keukenhof 2018 are announced. Keukenhof 2018 will be open…