Amsterdam is the most visited city by the readers of tulips in Holland. Its central location will give you a perfect base for visiting interesting places in the Netherlands. All the different flower areas are nearby and there is enough to see and do to spend at least one full week without being bored.
Top 10 things to do in Amsterdam
- Boat tour around the world famous Canal belt – a must do, perfect introduction of the city on your arrival day!
- Anne Frank Huis – make sure you have skip the line tickets, the line is long all year round!
- Rijksmuseum – the number 1 museum of the Netherlands
- Paleis op de dam and Dam square – the central hub of the city
- Stedelijk Museum – for interesting modern art
- Van Gogh Museum – One of the 2 musea with the paintings of Vincent van Gogh (the other is the Kröller Muller Museum)
- Vondelpark – perfect for a afternoon scroll especially on Sunday
- Albert Cuypmarkt – weekday market
- 9 straatjes (Nine Streets) – lovely shopping in small independent shops
- Bloemenmarkt (Flower Market) – see all the different flowers – be aware of tulip bulb scams when you buy your bulbs out of season
Top events in Amsterdam
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- Vondelpark open air theatre (May – September)
- Canal festival (classical music 10 days in August)
- Amsterdam Dance Event (October)
- Amsterdam Light festival (December – January)
- New Years Eve (december)
The tourist season in Amsterdam start around the end of March when the flower season starts and continues to October. Every year during September (14 – 19 sept 2017) the IBC Convention is held. Make sure you secure your hotel well in advance or find an other city to stay in. Hotel prices will skyrocket during this event.
Where to sleep
When visiting Amsterdam there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
- Hampshire Hotel – Amsterdam American
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Pulitzer Amsterdam
- NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
- Hampshire Hotel – Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
But there are many more hotels: See all hotels in Amsterdam.
10 Unique hotels in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam City Hub
- The Exchange Hotel
- Breitner house
- Hotel not hotel
- CitizenM Hotel Amsterdam
- Crane Hotel Faralda Amsterdam
- The Arcade Hotel
- Sir Albert Hotel
- Houseboat Ms 3 Gebroeders
- Bed & Breakfast De Hoedenmaker
Tips & tricks
Amsterdam is a very walkable city and it has a lot of public transportation options. You won’t need a car inside the city (it is too difficult to park). If you don’t want to walk, do as the Dutch and bike around town.
There a numerous discount and travel cards available for Amsterdam but sometimes it is a bit difficult to compare which one is the right one for you. We will make a travel/discount card comparison soon.
There are a couple of interesting apps with free city walks you can use on your phone. See our apps page.
Free to do and visit
Begijnhof, Oude Kerk, Westerkerk, Noorderkerk sen Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk. See how the diamonds are cut at the various diamonds exhibitions and visit one of the free markets like the Albert Cuyp, Noordermarkt and Dappermarkt.
Every Tuesday (September – May) 12:15 hrs at the foyer of the Stopera by the Choir of the national opera and the ochestra of the Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra.
Every Wednesday (September – May) 12:30 hrs at the concert building in the Small or large concert hall. Get your free tickets for the small concert hal at 11:30 at the same building. For the large concert hall you don;t need a ticket. See online if the weekly concert is held in the small or large concert hall.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Wiki Commons
Chelsea Flower Show 2017 Are you visiting the world’s most prestigious flower show that inspires millions through showcasing the best in garden design…
Current status of the flowers - 9th May 2017 We are heading towards the end of springtime. The temperature is rising and we have some mixed weather wi…
Heading of the tulips - top of North Holland Every year it is a terrible sight to see; the heading of the tulips. These flowers are grown for the bulb…
Heading of the tulips - Keukenhof area Every year it is a difficult sight to see, the heading of the tulips. At one of the flower farms in the Keukenh…