Just located at 20 minutes south of the airport, you can find the beautiful old city of Leiden. Did you know that the Pilgrim Fathers lived in this scenic city for over 10 years before they set sail to England to take the Mayflower to America? There are still a lot of locations to visit from the 16th and 17th century. Leiden houses also the oldest University of the Netherlands and it has a jong and vibrant feel. Amsterdam Central Station is only 40 minutes by train and also the other interesting cities of The Hague, Delft, Utrecht and Rotterdam can easily be reached by train. A perfect location to stay in the Netherlands
Top 10 things to do in and around Leiden
- Visit the Keukenhof during spring season – There is a direct express bus from the railway station to Keukenhof.
- Museum Volkenkunde
- National Museum of Antiquities – (Rijksmuseum van Oudheden)
- National Museum of National History – (Naturalis)
- Windmill De Valk
- Botanical Gardens
- Pieterskerk & de Burcht
- Leiden American Pilgrims Museum
- City walk through Leidse Hofjes (Innercourts of Leiden)
Top events in Leiden
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- 3 October – Leids ontzet
The tourist season in Leiden start around the end of March when the flower season starts and continues to October.
Where to sleep
When visiting Leiden there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
- Golden Tulip Leiden Centre
- Tulip Inn Leiden Centre
- Best Western City Hotel Leiden
- Ibis Leiden Centre
- B&B Het Vogelhuis
- Steenhof Suites
- Boutique hotel De Barones van Leyden
But there are many more hotels: See all hotels in Leiden.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Wiki Commons