Weekly flower update 2022 week 11
A warm welcome to all new and current subscribers to the first flower update of 2022! From this week we will start with our weekly updates and blooming information. We can finally start the spring season. After two years of covid we are happy to tell that the Netherlands released most of their measures. We all missed you in these two years! Let’s start …
Are you ready for Springtime?
On Thursday the 24th of March 2022, the Keukenhof will completely open again after 2 years. The 15th of May will be the final day of Keukenhof this season. We are looking forward seeing what is in bloom during opening weekend. We didn’t have a very cold winter and the past couple of days the daytime temperatures are rising above the 15 C (59 F). Most tourist attractions will open from the end of March. Planning to visit but you don’t have a ticket yet? Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
Current status of the flowers
Yesterday we drove around the flower field area, and you can see some colours in the flower fields. I spotted some crocuses in purple and white and quite some daffodil fields in yellow. We spotted the first hyacinth field (in pink) as well.
Blooming in the upcoming week
In the upcoming week I expect to see more crocuses and daffodils in bloom. For blooming tulips outside it is too early in the upcoming weeks. It will take several weeks before we get there.
For everyone who want to ask the most important question: When are the tulips in bloom in 2022? Have a look at this blogpost. Blooming depends on the weather and temperature in the upcoming weeks and it is different every springtime.
Weather in the upcoming week
The weather in the upcoming week is very dry and temperatures around the 12 C (54 F). The flowers are in need for some water after at least a week of no rain. When you are traveling in the upcoming week bring some warm winter clothes. When you want up to date weather information, I recommend you to download the free app of Buienradar. (translation: shower radar) On this accurate app you can see if the rain shower is over in 15 minutes or if it takes much longer. Perfect for day to day use in springtime when the weather can change every 15 minutes.
New in season 2022
What is new during spring season 2022? Since covid, most attractions in the Netherlands work with time slots. Before covid you could show up and buy tickets, now you need your tickets booked in advance for most attractions. Keukenhof and Floriade have this type of system and some other tulip attractions as well. This prevents an overflow of people visiting at the same time. When you travel during popular weekends i.e. during Easter, Flower Parade weekend or peak blooming, keep in mind that these tickets are going fast. You can stay as long as you want after entering during a certain time slot.
In the past two years we have seen a couple of new tulip attractions:
- The Tulip Experience in Noordwijkerhout where you can see the history of tulip farming inside a tulip farm with a beautiful outside show garden with a million of tulips in 500 different varieties. You will have a cup of coffee or tea and pick your own bunch of tulips from the indoor tulip picking garden included in your ticket. It is within biking distance of Keukenhof. Tickets are only available online and are not sold at the entrance. – you can buy your tickets here.
- The Tulip Barn in Hillegom is also a new attraction. It is a beautiful show garden with 175 varieties of tulips. They placed some lovely objects in the garden to make Instagram worthy shots. This barn is also located within biking distance of Keukenhof. – you can buy your tickets here.
Travel to Keukenhof by public transportation
Just like previous years there is a combination ticket of public transportation and entrance to Keukenhof. Just like the normal entrance tickets these combination tickets are only available with a timeslot. In 2019 the bus system changed a bit compared to previous years. In the infographic above you can see the lines.
For traveling by public transportation, download the 9292 app in the app store. This app is available in English and will give you the public transportation information in the Netherlands. Bus 850, 854 and 858 only ride during Keukenhof hours and are express routes, they don’t stop in between. Bus 850 only rides during weekends, Bus 50 and bus 90 are regular bus routes with stops during their routes. Combitickets are available here.
Every ten years an International Horticultural Exhibition Floriade is held in the Netherlands. For 2022 this will be held in the city of Almere, just 30 minutes outside Amsterdam. It will open at the 14th of April until the beginning of October. Theme of this Expo is “Creating Green Cities”. You can discover solutions from national and international innovators that make our cities more fun, more beautiful and more sustainable. At the Floriade Park you can enjoy the scent and color of flowers, plants, vegetables and fruits. More about the Floriade in our next newsletters. Tickets are available here.
Most covid measures in the Netherlands are cancelled. You don’t need an app or proof of vaccination/ negative PCR test for visiting attractions or restaurants. We still need a face mask in public transportation, however this measure will probably be cancelled at the end of March. There are still some measures for entering the Netherlands. On this website from our government, you can read about all the measures for entering the Netherlands from abroad.
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
- When is the best time for visiting Keukenhof in 2022?
- Can I read the flower updates from previous years?
- All you need to know about the spring flower parade (Flower parade – 23rd of April)
- Can you recommend a hotel near Keukenhof?
- What is the latest news about the Tulips in Holland?
Have a beautiful week!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com