The Amsterdam Area is full with interesting things to see and do. The Netherlands is not that large and it is easy to travel by public transportation and by (rental) car. The area is full with new and historic sites to visit, from old Holland to new architecture. Have a look below to our top 10 things to do in the Amsterdam Area.
Top 10 things to do in the Amsterdam Area
- Visit Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot – Take to boat from Amsterdam to visit this Castle from the middle ages.
- Zaanse Schans – a collection of windmills and old Dutch houses. Learn how cheese and clogs are made.
- Take a stroll at the beach of Zandvoort.
- Visit the Waterland region – farmland, water and picturesque towns of Edam, Monnickendam and the more touristic Volendam.
- Visit a cheese market in Alkmaar.
- Visit the isle of Texel – one of the most beautiful islands of the Netherlands.
- Make a day tour to Flevoland – to see interesting architecture on this new polder land.
- Smell the flowers at the flower auction in Aalsmeer.
- Step back into the Golden Age by visiting the Golden Triangle (Hoorn, Medemblik and Enkhuizen) by train and boat.
- Naarden vesting.
- Flower area top of North Holland.
- Visit the beautiful city of Haarlem.
Top events in Amsterdam Area
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- Liberation day – 5th of May
The tourist season in Amsterdam Area start around the end of March when the flower season starts and continues to October.
Where to sleep
When visiting Amsterdam Area there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
- Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Zaandam – Zaandam
- B&B Huis op de Dijk – Zaandam
- Heerlijck Slaapen op de Zaanse Schans – Zaandam
- B&B Bloem – Alkmaar
- Amrâth Hotel Alkmaar – Alkmaar
But there are many more hotels: See all hotels in Amsterdam.
Tips & tricks
The Amsterdam Area is very easy to navigate. Have a look at the travel passes to see if one is perfect for you.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Wiki Commons (Inntel Hotel Zaandam)
The wonderful world of Tulips from the air I know many of you have a bucket list of things you would like to see and do. One of my bucket list things …
Weekly Flower update 2018 - week 16 Good morning, we had a very late spring time this year, but it looks like summer time is very early this year. For…
Weekly Flower update 2018 - week 15 Good morning, welcome to our weekly flower update. We have tulips in bloom inthe flower fields, finally! Great new…
Interesting Events - 9 april 2018 Are you visiting upcoming week and are you looking for interesting events in the region of Keukenhof and Amsterdam? …
Weekly Flower update 2018 - week 14 Good morning, another weekly flower update for you. Finally we have some color in the fields. The purple crocuses …
Interesting Events - 2 april 2018 Are you visiting upcoming week and are you looking for interesting events in the region of Keukenhof and Amsterdam? …
Weekly Flower update 2018 - week 13 Good morning, how are you all doing this week? Welcome to all new subscribers and also to some readers from previo…
10 tips for visiting Keukenhof at Easter 2018 Easter weekend is one of the most busiest days of the Keukenhof season. Lots of tourist are visiting the…
Interesting Events - 25 march 2018 Are you visiting upcoming week and are you looking for interesting events in the region of Keukenhof and Amsterdam?…
Weekly Flower update 2018 - week 12 Good morning, Just a couple of days until spring is here! I am so excited to start the tulip season! Thank you for…