The Amsterdam Area is full with interesting things to see and do. The Netherlands is not that large and it is easy to travel by public transportation and by (rental) car. The area is full with new and historic sites to visit, from old Holland to new architecture. Have a look below to our top 10 things to do in the Amsterdam Area.
Top 10 things to do in the Amsterdam Area
- Visit Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot – Take to boat from Amsterdam to visit this Castle from the middle ages.
- Zaanse Schans – a collection of windmills and old Dutch houses. Learn how cheese and clogs are made.
- Take a stroll at the beach of Zandvoort.
- Visit the Waterland region – farmland, water and picturesque towns of Edam, Monnickendam and the more touristic Volendam.
- Visit a cheese market in Alkmaar.
- Visit the isle of Texel – one of the most beautiful islands of the Netherlands.
- Make a day tour to Flevoland – to see interesting architecture on this new polder land.
- Smell the flowers at the flower auction in Aalsmeer.
- Step back into the Golden Age by visiting the Golden Triangle (Hoorn, Medemblik and Enkhuizen) by train and boat.
- Naarden vesting.
- Flower area top of North Holland.
- Visit the beautiful city of Haarlem.
Top events in Amsterdam Area
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- Liberation day – 5th of May
The tourist season in Amsterdam Area start around the end of March when the flower season starts and continues to October.
Where to sleep
When visiting Amsterdam Area there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
- Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Zaandam – Zaandam
- B&B Huis op de Dijk – Zaandam
- Heerlijck Slaapen op de Zaanse Schans – Zaandam
- B&B Bloem – Alkmaar
- Amrâth Hotel Alkmaar – Alkmaar
But there are many more hotels: See all hotels in Amsterdam.
Tips & tricks
The Amsterdam Area is very easy to navigate. Have a look at the travel passes to see if one is perfect for you.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Wiki Commons (Inntel Hotel Zaandam)
Sneak Preview Keukenhof 2018 Are you planning a visit to Keukenhof 2018? I am very excited to share some information from the official opening of Keuk…
Picking tulips for a good cause Picking tulips for a good cause is held every year at the end of March after the Tulip Trade Event is held in the Neth…
Interesting Events There is so much to do in the direct surroundings of Amsterdam and Keukenhof. Have a look at some interesting events during spring …
Weekly Flower Update 2018 - week 11 This is the first flower update for 2018. From now on until the end of spring season (mid May) we will have weekly…
The Cruquius Museum Apart from tulips, The Netherlands is also known because of water. After all, most of the country would flood if there were neithe…
Happy National Tulip Day 2018 Every year on the third Saturday of January the start of the tulip season is celebrated with National Tulip Day. You won…
When are the tulips in bloom in 2018 ? Every year this is the most frequently asked question is: when are the tulips in bloom in 2018 ? Will the tulip…
Fly over the tulip fields at This is Holland Tulip season is very short. During springtime the tulips are in bloom for just for app. four weeks. With …
CBS Sunday Morning - Tulips at Hortus Bulborum Yesterday at the CBS Sunday Morning show the Hortus Bulborum garden was shown. Situated in the small to…
Opening Keukenhof 2018 Today, at the final day of Keukenhof season 2017 the opening dates of Keukenhof 2018 are announced. Keukenhof 2018 will be open…