Bulb planting tips
- Prepare in advance – Make sure you remove weeds and compost the ground before you plant your bulbs.
- Choose the right timing – most bulb companies start shipping around the end of September. Plant your bulbs in October and november
- Size does matter in bulbs – buy the biggest size bulbs you can find to have the most beautiful flowers.
- Plant your bulbs three to four times as deep as the bulb itself.
- Put the nose of the bulb up – If you can decide what the nose is, plant the bulb on its side. Nature will find its way.
- Mark the spot where you have planted your bulbs.
- Plant your tulip and crocus bulbs along daffodils when you have a lot of squirrels in your garden.
- Mix tulips with muscari to have a sea of blue flowers and tulips hoping out between them.
- Use the lasagna technique (plant in layers) with early and late blooming tulips to have your border blooming for a long time
- Plant tulips into large pots, for a warm spring welcome next to your front door.
- When you want to grow the bulbs indoors; Hyacinths will flower after 10-12 weeks in a cool dark room and Paper whites (daffodils) will flower after 8-10 weeks.
Do you have more bulb planting tips? Let us know in the comments below!
Tulips in Holland provides you information about the spring flowers and flower fields in the Netherlands.
Have a look at the FAQ Section in the menu of this website to get all the information you need for a wonderful visit to the beautiful flower fields in the Netherlands.
If you are interested to see what the current blooming status is have a look here for the weekly flower updates.
Or sign up for our weekly newsletter to get the blooming status and helpful tips for your visit directly into your mailbox on Tuesday (a day earlier than on the website!).
If you have any questions – write them below in the comments or find us on social media.