Weekly Flower update 2018 – week 19
And the final week of spring season has arrived. The flower fields are mostly gone and the Keukenhof is still open until Sunday the 13th in the afternoon. Have a look at the current status.
Current status of the flowers
Last week started with lots (lots!) of rain. Some tulips were all down to the ground due to the rain. Luckily as soon as the sunny weather came out the tulips recovered quick to their normal shape and form. The past couple of days it feels like summer is there already. The temperature is above the 20 degrees C (68 F) and lots of sunshine.
All the tulips are in bloom at Keukenhof and with the end of season in mind it is lovely to walk around the garden. For the people visiting this week make sure you visit one of the largest lily shows in the world in the Willem Alexander Pavilion. The huge flowers amaze me every time. In the final weekend of season Keukenhof is celebrating Romance at Keukenhof with performances between 11 AM and 4:30 PM. It is a beautiful way to spend mother’s day in the garden. (All photos made in this newsletter were made Sunday the 6th of May).
Make sure you have your Skip the line ticket of Keukenhof in advance when traveling by car or your Keukenhof ticket with Public Transportation. You don’t have to wait in line to buy a ticket and have your ticket on your mobile phone (or print it at home just what you prefer). The best time to beat the crowds is early in the morning or later in the afternoon. See How to travel to Keukenhof here.
After Keukenhof closes its doors on Sunday the 13thof May in the afternoon, there are no flowers left to see. The direct bus service to Keukenhof will stop as well. Next chance to see all kind of flowers incl. tulips will be on National Tulip Day in January or at spring season 2019. It will be too early for summer flowers. Next flower festival in the area will be the Aalsmeer flower festival, with beautiful roses, on the weekend of 16 and 17 June 2018 in the town of Aalsmeer. Have a look at their website for more information.
Interesting things to do
- Until 13th of May – Lily show at Keukenhof
- 9 – 13th of May – Rollende Keukens (Rolling Kitchens) food festival in Westerpark Amsterdam
- 10th of May – getting up early and visit the National Park of Hoge Veluwe for free, when you enter between 6 AM – 8 AM
- 10th of May – longest fair of the Netherlands(almost 5 km long) in Utrecht
- 10 – 11th of May – Ceramic days in Gouda(make sure you check the travel app for public transportation, there will be road works to the train lines)
- 12th May and 13th May – National Windmill and Watermill day in the Netherlands
- 12th May and 13th May – Romance at Keukenhof
- 13th of May – Mothers day, final day of Keukenhof, final day of spring season
- 21st of May – National Castle day – visit one of the numerous castles and estates in the Netherlands
Tickets and Tours
Spring tours (only available for traveling until the 13th of May 2018)
- Individual skip the line tickets to Keukenhof and parking tickets
- Bus (public transportation) + Skip the line tickets to Keukenhof
- Tour to Keukenhof from Amsterdam (with an English speaking guide)
Summer tours (Also available after 13th of May 2018)
- Volendam, Marken & Zaanse schans
- North & South Holland Tour
- Grand Holland Tour
- The Hague & Delft
- Biking in Rotterdam
We will have a short break from the newsletter to prepare our website and newsletter for the summer time. Wishing you a wonderful week. See you soon!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Tulips in Holland