Weekly Flower update 2018 – week 18
Springtime flies by fast! From warm to cold and wet weather and back to warm weather again in the next couple of days. Spring 2018 will be known as a late springtime with warm temperatures and cold weeks. We have some important news for the people traveling in the upcoming week…
Current status of the flowers
Every year it is a terrible moment to announce: the heading of the tulips has started in the entire Netherlands. And the heading has started. There are still some tulips fields in bloom but in the upcoming days the amount of fields in bloom will be less and less. I expect most tulip fields be headed by the end of this week, I keep my fingers crossed that there are some fields left during the weekend. The tulips are headed to create a strong and healthy bulb that will be harvested by this summer. From August all these bulbs will be transported to end up in gardens all over the world. And they will bloom next springtime in al kind of gardens over the world, possibly in your garden.
The other flowers like hyacinths and daffodils are mostly gone as well. You might see one or two fields but with the sunny weather in the upcoming days they will be gone quick. When the Keukenhof closes it doors at the 13th of May (7:30 PM) there won’t be any spring flowers left in the fields to see and we have to wait until next springtime in 2019.
Keukenhof looks gorgeous at the moment. All the flowers incl. tulips are in full bloom, the shrubs are in bloom and even the trees are getting their green leaves on. There are some borders where the tulips still need to start blooming. So I expect some blooming until the final day of season. If possible please don’t wait until the very last day of season, the flowers look lovely now.
Make sure you have your Skip the line ticket of Keukenhof in advance when traveling by car or your Keukenhof ticket with Public Transportation. You don’t have to wait in line to buy a ticket and have your ticket on your mobile phone (or print it at home just what you prefer). The best time to beat the crowds is early in the morning or later in the afternoon. See How to travel to Keukenhof here.
Interesting things to do
- 2nd of May – 13th of May – Lily show at Keukenhof
- Until 3rd of May – Flower days in Anna Paulowna in the top of North Holland
- 3rd – 6th May Blooming Romance festival at Keukenhof
- 4th of May – Remembrance Day – to remember all the people who died during the wars
- 5th of May – Liberation Day – celebrate by visiting one of the 14 music festivals with Dutch artists
- Until 6th of May – Tulip festival Noordoostpolder
- 12th May and 13th May – National Windmill and Watermill day in the Netherlands
- 12th May and 13th May – Romance at Keukenhof
- 13th of May – Mothers day, final day of Keukenhof, final day of spring season
- 21st of May – National Castle day – visit one of the numerous castles and estates in the Netherlands
Tickets and Tours
- Individual skip the line tickets to Keukenhof and parking tickets
- Bus (public transportation) + Skip the line tickets to Keukenhof
- Guided bike tours from Keukenhof
- Tour to Keukenhof from Amsterdam (with an English speaking guide)
- Tour to bulb farm and Keukenhof from Amsterdam
- Tulip field helicopter flight Noordoostpolder (flight only)
The end of springtime is approaching fast. For the information on the website and newsletter it is interesting to know what you liked and what information you missed on the website this year. So we can help future visitors with more accurate information. If you would like to give some feedback please send it to my mailaddress. Thank you so much for your time.
- When are the tulips in bloom 2018?
- How to travel to Keukenhof?
- Tulip Bulb scams – don’t buy bulbs during spring season!
- Interesting tickets & tours
Wishing you a wonderful week full of sunshine!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Tulips in Holland