Weekly flower update 2022 week 12
Happy springtime! Finally it is spring again! After two years of closure due to covid, all tulip attractions are opening this week. The last covid measures are relieved upcoming Wednesday, Keukenhof will open their doors on Thursday and there is so many more to do. Lets read on …
Current status of the flowers
At this moment the daffodils are in bloom and the hyacinths are starting to bloom as well in the flower fields. The flower region around Lisse is full of colourful fields. There are still a lot of green patches, where the tulips will bloom later in the season. The flower field photos in this newsletter were taken last weekend.
For next week I expect lots of daffodils and hyacinths in the fields. For tulips in the fields, it will be too early, at Keukenhof you will find tulips indoors at the Willem-Alexander Pavilion.
Route through the flower area
If you want to drive around the flower area, have a look at the route I created for driving around the area by car/ bus / bike. Have a look here.
Pink is a long route along different flower fields, Blue is the route towards the beach, green is a short biking route (you bike along the side of the 60 km (37 MPH) road). There are plenty of parking places to stop and enjoy the flowers. Keep in mind that a lot of traffic comes from local people going to work, don’t stall these cars and trucks. Park your vehicle somewhere safe and don’t park on the road itself.
Flower field etiquette
And there’s some flower field etiquette to follow. In short: do not go into the flower fields. You can damage the bulbs without realizing it. Flower fields are private property and these bulbs are the livelihood of the bulb farmers, so they can and will protect it. There are several places where you can walk among the flowers and take beautiful pictures. Take a look at The Tulip Experience or The Tulip Barn for making photos.
Weather in the upcoming week
It will be another dry and sunny week with temperatures around 14 C (57 F) during the day and just above freezing at night. The sun sets around 7pm. Daylight saving time (in Dutch zomertijd or Summer time) will start on Sunday 27th March at 2 o’clock am. Make sure your watch and phone are in the correct time zone, you don’t want to miss your tour (we jump forward one hour from 2am to 3am). Then the sun sets around 8pm.
Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
Every country has its own scams from illegal taxi’s to gambling on the street, and unfortunately the Netherlands has one as well: Tulip Bulb scams. Every year ignorant tourists pay a lot of money during springtime to buy “fresh” tulip bulbs during springtime. Unfortunately, these flowers are not going to bloom ever. Avoid being scammed and read everything about tulip bulb scams.
Where to order bulbs?
Due to the large number of questions about where to buy flower bulbs, we have entered into a partnership with My Dutch Flowers. They are one of the official suppliers of the Keukenhof and now you can get the same top quality bulbs at home to create your own Dutch spring garden. Receive the bulbs via the worldwide free delivery service at the right planting time in the autumn and enjoy free inspiration videos, updates and useful instructions during the life cycle of your bulbs and flowers for a year. Interested? Have a look at our bulbs page.
Map of Keukenhof
Have you seen the new 2022 map of Keukenhof? I walk you through the different areas on the map and provide you some not to miss tips. If you have tips from previous trips please share them at the comments of this page to inspire other tourists. Have look at the map here.
When you are looking for Keukenhof tickets have a look here.
What to see and do this weekend?
- Are you traveling to Amsterdam March 26th? Make sure you visit the free event Open tower days in Amsterdam. 19 historic and contemporary Amsterdam towers are open to the public and will give you a magnificent view over the city of Amsterdam. Bring your camera to capture these bird eye views over the city!
- The beautiful flower painting exhibition In Full Bloom is on display at the Mauritshuis in the Hague. Have a look at our preview here. For tickets have a look here.
- At the Van Gogh Museum next to the permanent Van Gogh master pieces there is an exhibition about Van Gogh and the Olive Groves which is worth a visit. Have a look here for tickets.
Flower shows and events 2022 at Keukenhof
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
- 24 March – 29 March: Tulip and Hyacinth show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 24 March – 15 May: Orchid & Anthurium show – Beatrix Pavilion
- 21 March – 15 May: Potted Bulb & Plant show – Willem-Alexander Pavilion
- 31 March – 5 April: Freesia and Gerbera show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 1 & 3 April – Holland Heritage weekend – Experience 19th-century Holland
- 7 April – 12 April: Rose show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 14 April – 18 April: Daffodil and Special Bulbs show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 20 April – 25 April: Alstroemeria show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 27 April – 2 May: Lisianthus show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 4 May – 9 May: Chrysanthemum and Calla show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 7 & 8 May – Romance at Keukenhof – Enjoy classical music among many blooming flowers
- 11 May – 15 May: Carnation and summer flower show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
- When is the best time for visiting Keukenhof in 2022?
- Can I read the flower updates from previous years?
- All you need to know about the spring flower parade (Flower parade – 23rd of April)
- Can you recommend a hotel near Keukenhof?
- What is the latest news about the Tulips in Holland?
Have a colourful week! Stop by our social media, from upcoming Friday we will show actual photos and videos of Keukenhof Garden at our timeline.
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com