Weekly flower update 2022 week 13
Spring has started! After 2 years of standstill, everyone is overjoyed to be able to celebrate spring again. From the tourists to the employees, everyone is very happy. “Finally, we are allowed to travel/work again” was a common expression. It was a beautiful week, so let’s read on…
Current status of the flowers
In Keukenhof lots of flowers are in bloom. The indoor flower shows look gorgeous and lots of tulips are in bloom in the Willem Alexander pavillion (the large greenhouse). Outside you will mainly see daffodils, crocuses and hyacinths in bloom. At a couple of places in the garden you will find some early blooming tulips. For the next week I expect more daffodils and hyacinths in bloom. There will be a new freesia and gerberra show in the Oranje Nassau, and we can enjoy the indoor tulips at the Willem Alexander pavilion.
Openings weekend was a very busy weekend! Due to the lovely sunny weather lots of people came to visit Keukenhof. Keep in mind to reserve your ticket and time slot in advance, especially during the weekends and holidays inn April and May. Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
What is new in Keukenhof 2022
Besides making reservations for your ticket and time slot in advance, you will find some small changes at keukenhof. The Wilhelmina restaurant has been renewed and in front of this restaurant you will find a new bridge. New artwork is placed around the park and in the gardens of the Keukenhof exhibitors you will find new displays to give you more information about the exhibitors.
I haven’t seen the lovely Jacoba ladies, dressed up in traditional clothes at the entrance, yet and during busy times the deck of the windmill will be closed probably to prevent standing too close together.
When you are visiting with children you can ask for a scavenger hunt in Dutch or English at the information desk.
Weather in the upcoming week
The weather is changing in some cooler and more cloudy weather. Temperatures during daytime will be around 8 C (46 F) and around freezing at night. Some rain is expected as well, the first rain in 3 weeks! The flowers will need this rain to get to bloom. Bring some warm and waterproof clothes and keep an eye to the Buienradar app (tr: shower rader) an accurate app for rain showers in the Netherlands
In the flower fields I expect to find more daffodils and hyacinths in bloom. You might find an early tulip field in bloom but due the change to much colder weather and lack of rain this can be a bit later. If you want to drive around the flower area, have a look at the route I created for driving around the area by car/ bus / bike. Have a look for the route map here. And keep in mind the flower field etiquette.
What to see and do this weekend?
- The Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem is in Bloom and has decorated their rooms with beautiful flower arrangements. They have a beautiful collection of 17th century paintings incl. some paintings about the tulip mania from that time period.
- The beautiful flower painting exhibition In Full Bloom is on display at the Mauritshuis in the Hague. Have a look at our preview here. For tickets have a look here.
- At the Van Gogh Museum next to the permanent Van Gogh master pieces there is an exhibition about Van Gogh and the Olive Groves which is worth a visit. Have a look here for tickets.
Flower shows and events 2022 at Keukenhof
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
- 24 March – 15 May: Orchid & Anthurium show – Beatrix Pavilion
- 21 March – 15 May: Potted Bulb & Plant show – Willem-Alexander Pavilion
- 31 March – 5 April: Freesia and Gerbera show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 1 & 3 April – Holland Heritage weekend – Experience 19th-century Holland
- 7 April – 12 April: Rose show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 14 April – 18 April: Daffodil and Special Bulbs show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 20 April – 25 April: Alstroemeria show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 27 April – 2 May: Lisianthus show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 4 May – 9 May: Chrysanthemum and Calla show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 7 & 8 May – Romance at Keukenhof – Enjoy classical music among many blooming flowers
- 11 May – 15 May: Carnation and summer flower show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2022 – Skip the lin
- Keukenhof: Skip The Line + Direct Transport from Amsterdam
- Keukenhof + 6-course Michelin-Star Dinner at Bolenius (Amsterdam)
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Full-Day Keukenhof Tulip Fields Tour from Amsterdam with Windmill & Farm Visit
- Keukenhof Highlights Bike Tour (2,5 hours through the fields with farm visit)
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
- When is the best time for visiting Keukenhof in 2022?
- Tulip bulb scams
- All you need to know about the spring flower parade (Flower parade – 23rd of April)
- Can you recommend a hotel near Keukenhof?
- What is the latest news about the Tulips in Holland?
Have a beautiful week! All of our newsletter/social media photos are made in the past couple of days to give an actual representation of the flowers. Come over to say hi when you see us walking in Keukenhof. We are recognisable by our blue Tulips in Holland jackets (see first photo)
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com