Weekly Flower update 2019 – week 11
Good morning from Amsterdam!
Are you ready for springtime? In just a couple of days spring will start in the Netherlands. On Thursday 8 AM the Keukenhof will open its doors for the very first time this springtime. Today we will have lots of travel tips for you. Read on for more information …
Current status of the flowers
As mentioned in the introduction this Thursday at 8 AM visitors can walk through the gate. What can you expect to see when you visit this weekend or upcoming week?
Depending on the direction you travel to Keukenhof to, you might see some large fields in yellow colour filled with daffodils on your way towards Keukenhof. When you walk through the gate of Keukenhof I expect to see mainly crocus and daffodils in bloom.
Indoors in the pavilions I expect to see tulips and hyacinths at the indoor flower exhibition in the Willem Alexander pavilion. At the Beatrix pavilion you will find a lovely flower show with gorgeous orchids and anthurium. Keep in mind that you are arriving at the very first of spring time. You will see lots of greens and flowers that are not yet in bloom.
From this afternoon I will only post recent photos of flowers from Keukenhof and the flower fields. So you can have a good impression what to expect. Are you wondering when the tulips are in bloom in the fields or when the best time is to visit Keukenhof? Have a look at this blogpost “when the tulips are in bloom in 2019“. Planning to visit but you don’t have a ticket yet? Have a look at our selection of tickets and tours here.
The weather in the upcoming week will be typical Dutch Spring weather, cold temperatures between 4 – 12 degrees Celsius (39 – 54 degrees Fahrenheit), a little bit of rain and a bit more of sunshine compared to last week. The wind will be moderate but if you are not used to a colder climate please bring a scarf and hat. You can leave your flip flops, shorts and tank tops at home. Luckily this is the perfect environment for tulips and other beautiful spring flowers to grow.
What to see and do this weekend?
Are you planning to visit The Netherlands this weekend? There are a couple of nice activities to do as well.
- Are you traveling to Amsterdam this Saturday ? Make sure you visit the free event Open tower days. 21 historic and contemporary Amsterdam towers are open to the public and will give you a magnificent view over the city of Amsterdam. Bring your camera to capture these bird eye views over the city!
- The beautiful Rembrandt exhibition is also on display at the Rijksmuseum. Due to large crowds you need to reserve a time slot for this exhibition. See more information at their website.
- At the Van Gogh Museum the Hockney – Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature exhibition is on display and is definitely worth a visit. Have a look here for tickets.
- If you are more into architecture, have a look at the Bauhaus exhibition at the Booymans & Van Beuningen museum. And you can reserve some tickets to visit the Unesco World Heritage Van Nelle Fabriek. It takes only 40 mins by intercity direct train to Rotterdam from Amsterdam and it is a beautiful city for people who love architecture. When you are traveling to Rotterdam make sure you visit the beautiful Markthal as well. I have visited this Unesco world heritage site last weekend and I loved it! There is a shuttle service in front of the Booymans museum 3x a day during weekends. Have a look here for more information.
- See more interesting things to see and do here.
And a heads up:
- Sunday 31st of March at 2 AM daylight saving time (in Dutch Zomertijd or Summertime) will start. Make sure your watch & phone is on the right time zone you don’t want to miss your tour. (We spring one hour forward from 2 AM to 3 AM)
Tulip bulb scams
Every country has its own scams, an unfortunately the Netherlands has one as well: Tulip Bulb scams. Every year ignorant tourists pay a lot of money during springtime to buy tulip bulbs during springtime, unfortunately these flowers are not going to bloom. Avoid being scammed and read everything about tulip bulb scams.
Map 2019 Keukenhof
Have you seen the new 2019 map of Keukenhof? I walk you through the different areas on the map and provide you some not to miss tips. If you have tips from previous trips please share them at the comments of this page for inspiration of other tourists.
Flower shows and events 2019
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look at the long list here
Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
Tickets and Tours
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2019 – Skip the line
- Bus + Skip the line entrance Keukenhof 2019 (also from the new added bus stations)
- Rent your bike (3hrs or full day) to see the flower fields around Keukenhof yourself
- Small Group Tour to Keukenhof flower fields, pancakes, Haarlem and windmill
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof and Flower farm from Amsterdam
- Coach tour to Keukenhof from Rotterdam
- Day Trip to Keukenhof & Flowerfields, Volendam & Windmills (Small Group Tour)
- Day Trip to Keukenhof and Zaanse Schans including A’DAM Lookout
Thank you for reading along this week. Enjoy the start of springtime.
I will have a sneak preview of Keukenhof this week, follow our social media for up to date photos.
Wishing you a colourful week!
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com