Weekly flower update 2022 week 15
Spring is now in full swing. The flowers are in bloom, the weather is turning into lovely spring weather. Let’s read what happens…
Current status of the flowers
There are plenty of daffodils and hyacinths in bloom right now. Every day more and more tulips start to bloom. The blue rivers full of Muscari (grape hyacinths) get their beautiful blue color and the fritillarias stand tall in their flower beds.
The bloom changes day by day and with the expected weather more and more flowers will show their beautiful colors. Last week we even had some snow as 20C (68F) is expected today. The temperature will drop around 17C (63F) in the coming days and the sun will come out from behind the clouds over the weekend.
This coming weekend is the Easter weekend (including Monday), and the following weekend is the Bloemencorso weekend. Both weekends are known for the busiest weekends of the spring season. If you haven’t booked, make sure to buy your tickets in advance or better visit during the week where the crowds are much less.
In the coming week I expect to see more and more tulips in bloom, especially when the temperatures get higher and the sun can be seen more.
All photos of this newsletter (except the one from the flower parade) are made in the last 2 days.
Flower parade – 23rd of April
The parade draws huge crowds and you should calculate that the traffic before and after the parade can be jammed for hours. For the people who really want to travel to Keukenhof during parade day: buy your tickets in advance and come as early as possible (no later than 9.30 am). You don’t want to spend hours in a huge traffic jam to find out that the parking lot has reached maximum capacity. Local people only travel on foot or by bicycle on this day.
Even for me Keukenhof is too busy, and I prefer to visit on a more relax Friday or Monday. After the parade, many buses and cars start to leave at the same time. Traffic around Keukenhof can be jammed until 7 p.m. When you come on Parade day, arrive early, enjoy your day in and around Keukenhof, visit the city on foot for a nice drink or something to eat and leave after 7 pm.
And sometimes it is easier to visit the parade in the city of Sassenheim (walking from the train station to the city) or in the city of Haarlem in the evening (walking distance from the train station) We have several tips/tricks for people who visit the flower parade on our website.
Have a look here for the timetable of the parade – (these are street names/crossings – use google maps for directions)
What to see and do this weekend?
- Visit the daffodil and special bulbs flower show at Keukenhof
- If you are into fairs there is a large Easter fair in The Hague. Just across the pond of the Mauritshuis museum (They have a lovely exhibition about 17th century flower art)
- Or visit a bulb farm and Keukenhof together at this guided day tour.
Flower shows and events 2022 at Keukenhof
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
- 24 March – 15 May: Orchid & Anthurium show – Beatrix Pavilion
- 21 March – 15 May: Potted Bulb & Plant show – Willem-Alexander Pavilion
- 14 April – 18 April: Daffodil and Special Bulbs show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 20 April – 25 April: Alstroemeria show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 27 April – 2 May: Lisianthus show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 4 May – 9 May: Chrysanthemum and Calla show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 7 & 8 May – Romance at Keukenhof – Enjoy classical music among many blooming flowers
- 11 May – 15 May: Carnation and summer flower show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
Tickets for the Floriade are already available:
- Tickets for Floriade Expo 2022
- Tickets for Floriade 2022 and Zaanse Schans: Full-Day Tour From Amsterdam
- Tickets for Floriade 2022: Tour from Amsterdam & Cable Car Ride
- Tickets for Floriade 2022: Half day tour From Amsterdam
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2022 – Skip the line
- Tickets for Whisper Sailing Tour Keukenhof
- Keukenhof: Skip The Line + Direct Transport from Amsterdam
- Keukenhof + Flower Fields Guided Tour from Rotterdam (NEW!)
- Keukenhof + 6-course Michelin-Star Dinner at Bolenius (Amsterdam)
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Full-Day Keukenhof Tulip Fields Tour from Amsterdam with Windmill & Farm Visit
- Keukenhof Highlights Bike Tour (2,5 hours through the fields with bulb farm visit)
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
- When is the best time for visiting Keukenhof in 2022?
- Tulip bulb scams
- All you need to know about the spring flower parade (Flower parade – 23rd of April)
- Can you recommend a hotel near Keukenhof
Have a beautiful week! All of our newsletter/social media photos are made in the past couple of days to give an actual representation of the flowers. Come over to say hi when you see us walking in Keukenhof. We are recognisable by our blue Tulips in Holland jackets.
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com