Weekly flower update 2022 week 16
We had a very busy Easter weekend with gorgeous warm weather. Next weekend it is Parade weekend. Let’s see what is happening ….
Current status of the flowers
After a week with unusual warm weather for the time of the year without another week of rain, the flowers are getting to full bloom quickly. The daffodils and hyacinths in the fields are getting to the end of their blooming while the tulips start to bloom in the fields. In parks, picking gardens and in Keukenhof you can find lots of blooming.
The warm weather without any rain might be a problem for the flower parade win the upcoming weekend. The hyacinths around the Keukenhof area are almost done blooming, so the blooming hyacinths have to be bought somewhere else. Hopefully they manage to find enough flowers for the decorating of the floats.
The area is full of tourists and for the very first time I can remember, Keukenhof was fully booked for the entire weekend. Flower parade weekend will be a busy weekend as well. Make sure to buy your ticketsin advance or better visit during the week where the crowds are much less.
In the coming week I expect to see more tulips in the fields and when the temperatures stay this high and without some rain, we will see peak blooming quickly.
Flower parade – 23rd of April
The parade draws huge crowds and you should calculate that the traffic before and after the parade can be jammed for hours. For the people who really want to travel to Keukenhof during parade day: buy your tickets in advance and come as early as possible (no later than 9.30 am). You don’t want to spend hours in a huge traffic jam to find out that the parking lot has reached maximum capacity. Local people only travel on foot or by bicycle on this day.
Even for me Keukenhof is too busy, and I prefer to visit on a more relax Friday or Monday. After the parade, many buses and cars start to leave at the same time. Traffic around Keukenhof can be jammed until 7 p.m. When you come on Parade day, arrive early, enjoy your day in and around Keukenhof, visit the city on foot for a nice drink or something to eat and leave after 7 pm.
And sometimes it is easier to visit the parade in the city of Sassenheim (walking from the train station to the city) or in the city of Haarlem in the evening (walking distance from the train station) We have several tips/tricks for people who visit the flower parade on our website.
Have a look here for the timetable of the parade – (these are street names/crossings – use google maps for directions)
What to see and do this weekend?
- Visit the Tulip Experience in Noordwijkerhout, they have a lovely show garden and a indoor museum with a tulip picking area.
- Visit a bulb farm and Keukenhof together at this guided day tour.
- Have you ever wandered how a ship of the the Holland-America Cruise line looks like? Visit the steamship SS Rotterdam in the Rotterdam Harbour. They have an interesting audio tour through the ship. It is brought back sin its original shape from the 60’s, from the time that Rotterdam – New York City took 8,5 days.
Flower shows and events 2022 at Keukenhof
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
- 24 March – 15 May: Orchid & Anthurium show – Beatrix Pavilion
- 21 March – 15 May: Potted Bulb & Plant show – Willem-Alexander Pavilion
- 20 April – 25 April: Alstroemeria show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 27 April – 2 May: Lisianthus show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 4 May – 9 May: Chrysanthemum and Calla show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 7 & 8 May – Romance at Keukenhof – Enjoy classical music among many blooming flowers
- 11 May – 15 May: Carnation and summer flower show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2022 – Skip the line
- Tickets for Whisper Sailing Tour Keukenhof
- Keukenhof: Skip The Line + Direct Transport from Amsterdam
- Keukenhof + Flower Fields Guided Tour from Rotterdam (NEW!)
- Keukenhof + 6-course Michelin-Star Dinner at Bolenius (Amsterdam)
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Full-Day Keukenhof Tulip Fields Tour from Amsterdam with Windmill & Farm Visit
- Keukenhof Highlights Bike Tour (2,5 hours through the fields with bulb farm visit)
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
- When is the best time for visiting Keukenhof in 2022?
- Tulip bulb scams
- All you need to know about the spring flower parade (Flower parade – 23rd of April)
- Can you recommend a hotel near Keukenhof
Have a beautiful week! All of our newsletter/social media photos are made in the past couple of days to give an actual representation of the flowers. Come over to say hi when you see us walking in Keukenhof. We are recognisable by our blue Tulips in Holland jackets.
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com