Weekly flower update 2022 week 18
We are in the midst of peak blooming! A lovely time to visit. Let’s see what is happening ….
Current status of the flowers
It is still unusual warm and dry for the time of this year. The tulips have reached peak blooming and the first tulip fields are getting topped. It is a lovely time to travel now. The parks, gardens, tulip attractions and picking gardens are in full bloom now. And with this warm and dry weather they bloom fast. Don’t wait too long with your visit. Lots of people are visiting these days so make sure to buy your tickets in advance.
For the upcoming week we will see less blooming as we are heading towards the end of spring. More and more fields will be topped by the bulb farmers in this week.
In the past couple of days we visited some tulip attractions in the region.
First stop was the Tulip Experience in Noordwijkerhout. This is a working tulip farm were they convert the barn into an interesting indoor museum where you can learn all about the history of the tulip and the activities on the tulip farm. In the restaurant where you can drink you complimentary cup of coffee/tea you can see the impressive show garden of 1 million tulips in 500 different varieties. It is lovely to stroll around and make photos in this show garden. Next to the tulip art gallery and little shop you can pick indoors your complimentary bunch of tulips.
Our second stop was the Hortus Bulborum in Limmen (close to the city of Alkmaar). This is a living museum of spring flower bulbs. They have a unique collection of historical bulbs. This collection consists primarily of tulips, narcissus and hyacinths, but there is also a small number of Fritillaria and crocus. You can find tulips from the time of the tulip mania! In the small cafe you can have lovely Dutch apple pie. More information on their website.
And our third stop was the garden of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. You can stroll around these gardens for free and you can find a lovely collection of tulips here. Indoor you can find a tulip book from the 17th century across room 2.9. Lots of flower paintings are transferred in the exhibition In Full Bloom in the Mauritshuis in The Hague.
Flower shows and events 2022 at Keukenhof
Did you know that the Keukenhof organises several flower shows, activities and events? Have a look which show or activity is on on your traveldates. Which event are you most looking forward to?
- 24 March – 15 May: Orchid & Anthurium show – Beatrix Pavilion
- 21 March – 15 May: Potted Bulb & Plant show – Willem-Alexander Pavilion
- 4 May – 9 May: Chrysanthemum and Calla show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
- 7 & 8 May – Romance at Keukenhof – Enjoy classical music among many blooming flowers
- 11 May – 15 May: Carnation and summer flower show – Oranje Nassau Pavilion
Tickets & tours!
Visit Keukenhof on your own
- Keukenhof 2022 – Skip the line
- Tickets for Whisper Sailing Tour Keukenhof
- Keukenhof: Skip The Line + Direct Transport from Amsterdam
- Keukenhof + Flower Fields Guided Tour from Rotterdam (NEW!)
- Keukenhof + 6-course Michelin-Star Dinner at Bolenius (Amsterdam)
Typical Dutch tours – 2022 season
- Full-Day Keukenhof Tulip Fields Tour from Amsterdam with Windmill & Farm Visit
- Keukenhof Highlights Bike Tour (2,5 hours through the fields with bulb farm visit)
- Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam
- Volendam, Marken and Windmills tour
- Giethoorn from Amsterdam
- Grand Holland tour from Amsterdam
Museum tickets 2022
- Rijksmuseum – Skip the line
- Van Gogh Museum
- Mauritshuis museum
- Exhibition In Full Bloom – Flower, Flowers and More Flowers – Mauritshuis Museum until the 6th of June 2022
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Nighttime Canal Cruise (start near Central Station)
- Daytime Canal Cruise (start near Leidseplein)
Looking for other tours? Have a look at our complete list of tours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
For the FAQ of this week:
Have a beautiful week! Come over to say hi when you see us walking in Keukenhof. We are recognisable by our blue Tulips in Holland jackets.
Kind regards from Tulips in Holland,
Photo credits: ©TulipsinHolland.com