Flower area – Keukenhof Area (Bollenstreek)
The flower area around Keukenhof is well known around the world. As you can read on our page of flower areas it is not the largest area in the Netherlands with flower fields. Due to the presents of Keukenhof Garden it is the most easily reached flower area from the cities of Haarlem, Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport, Leiden and The Hague.
This flower area consist of a large group of towns that are also known under the name Bollenstreek, (translation: Bulb area). This area is well known for growing bulbs and flowers since the Tulip Mania in the 17th century.
Towns that belong to this flower area Bollenstreek are:
- Noordwijk (Beach town)
- Katwijk (Beach town)
- De Zilk
During springtime it is a perfect time to visit all flower related activities. During summer time this area is perfect for a beach holiday. During autumn and wintertime this area is a bit quieter. During autumn you can visit the bulb markets and walk around in the national park de Waterleidingsduinen and see some wildlife there. During the mild winters this area is a nice base for a city trip to one of the surrounding cities of Haarlem, Leiden and The Hague.
Top things to do in the Keukenhof area (Bollenstreek)
- Visit The Keukenhof during springtime
- Visit one of the tulips picking gardens and pick your own bunch of tulips
- Visit a tulip farm and see how the tulips are grown
- Fly above the flower fields
- Find the history of the tulips in the museum The Black Tulip (Museum de Zwarte Tulp)
- Bike, walk and drive around the area – Visit the beach during nice weather and see the flower fields during springtime.
- National park de Waterleidingsduinen
Top events in Keukenhof area (Bollenstreek)
- Keukenhof and flower fields (end of March – beginning of May)
- Kings day (27th of April (or the 26th of april when the 27th is on a Sunday)
- Flower parade de Bollenstreek (end of April)
- Flower parade Rijnsburg (August with summer flowers)
- Bulb markets during autumn
Where to sleep
When visiting Keukenhof area (Bollenstreek) there are a lot of hotels to choose from. For example:
Hotels in the Bollenstreek area
- Noordwijk aan Zee
- Katwijk aan Zee
Book your tickets and tours to Keukenhof, a visit to a tulip farm and other attractions in the Netherlands here.
Have you booked your flights already? Have a look at our flight scanner tool from our partner Skyscanner. With a couple of clicks you can see which flight is the best for you (in travel time or price).
Source: Tulips in Holland
Photo credits: Tulips in Holland
Heading of the tulips - top of North Holland Every year it is a terrible sight to see; the heading of the tulips. These flowers are grown for the bulb…
Heading of the tulips - Keukenhof area Every year it is a difficult sight to see, the heading of the tulips. At one of the flower farms in the Keukenh…
Current status of the flowers - 2nd May 2017 The temperatures are getting from very cold to back to normal. It is a perfect time to visit now. Lots of…
Winner flowerparade bloemencorso 2017 Last weekend was flower parade weekend. It is one of the most busiest weekends during springtime. For everyone w…